Sunday, September 5, 2010

Media Fast(Saturday, Sep.4)

Saturday seemed to be the best day to try to attempt a media fast. I chose this day for several reasons. The first and main reason was because I knew I would be tailgating for most of the day, and I thought that would keep me away from a lot. The second reason was because its a weekend day, so I wouldn't have to really worry about emails and stuff like that, like I would during the week when classes are in session. This was actually a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be.

I kept myself pretty busy but in the little spare time I would have, I found myself trying to cut on the TV. As I said I knew most of the day I would be tailgating, hanging out with friends, and playing games, but even with that there is more spare time than I would have thought. Still I gave it my best shot. However, I did cheat while tailgating because the whole time we had music playing, and I would use my phone from time to time. I tried to stay true, but music was a necessity for the day.

On the other hand, it was very weird having this media fast. Everyday I stay up to date on sport's scores, stats, and games. With this fast I felt as though I was out of the loop all day, like I had no clue what was going on in the world. It was a very awkward feeling, and I did not like it. I also felt this way in regards to just the regular news as well.

Overall, this media fast was quite an experience. It was very strange not doing and using some parts of media that I am use to using everyday without thinking. On the same note, it was also nice not being glued to a TV, cell phone, computer, or ps3. It ended up being a fun day with no regrets!

2 comments:

  1. Same here man. I thought the fast was testy. I found myself cheating because I used my cell phone. Like your use to sports scores and stuff, I'm used to texting numerous times throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is very easy to get used to using media in our daily lives and we don't even notice half the time. I do a lot of reading of amateur writers online and i can agree that it is hard to give up on certain things.

    ReplyDelete