Friday, November 19, 2010

LAST BLOG!!!!!!!

Doing blogs was definitely an interesting way to do assignments this semester. I learned a lot from doing blogs because before hand I really knew nothing much about them. As for my favorite topics there were several. First I loved talking about all the specific cases we did and how the media could shape and influence people on them. Such as the Scopes Monkey Trail, the Mendez Brothers, Peterson and etc. It was very interesting to me the power the media has that I never realized. I also liked the discussion and readings on Satanism and the Satanic Day Cares. It was insane some of the rituals that were mentioned and just mind jogging. Those were some of my favorite discussions but again I really liked them all. It is hard to pick one I didn't like but if I had to I would have to say it was the discussion on the Disney movies where they were saying the movies were racist and sexist. To me this is ridiculous. I think this is people with nothing better to do than whine and complain about nothing. Just people wanting to make a fuss. THESE ARE JUST KIDS MOVIES! Like Dr. Castle said her dad did he didn't agree with the whole Disney thing so he just kept his child away. He didn't go out publicly bashing it. Other people should do the same, if you don't like it than don't watch it and don't ruin it for the rest. This whole topic blew me away. A topic I would like to see expanded is how the media can shape how we see certain ethnic groups. Such as making every muslim a terrorist. This is a touchly subject because on the one hand its not really fair to think of all muslims as terrorist, but on the other they have been a majority and doesn't the government need to make us aware to protect their citizens? I think this is something worth discussing more. Other than that I thought everything was covered sufficiently. Now if I were to have a class such as ours I would think I would focus it on every media outlet like we did. Whether its radio, movies, tv, newspapers, magazines, and etc. To show how the media can really influence justice. I would picture it like our class and the way we did it. I guess I would also used a lot of big cases and see how the media greatly influenced them in one way or another. Thats it for the last blog, this was an interesting way to do assignments but I must say im glad its done!

5 comments:

  1. I also loved the blogs but I guess it would have been the same if we had just talked about the topics in class. I see that you liked the topics based on the trials. I didnt like them because the information seemed so redundant. I believe there were some other interesting topics discussed in class, such as confirmation bias, and copycat effect but that may just be my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally i Hate Disney because life is never as it is portrayed in their movies and the fact that so many people make a fuss about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that learning about our country's various moral panics was both fascinating and slightly alarming. I mostly agree with your stance on Disney movies, but what about cases such as Pocahontas in which they teach a fictional, albeit happier, history? As a final point, muslims aren't an ethnic group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about the Disney movie discussion! Yeah, that seemed ridiculous to me, as well. But like TJ pointed out, the history is inaccurate and that stuff stays with you. When I learned the real history I remember being confused because of Pocahontas. I actually found the Disney discussion really interesting because everyone has such opposing views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Disney topic was a very intersting too, along with the satanic day cares/rituals that were used. Its kind of creepy to think that there are people who warship the devil and have disgusting rituals with kids. The Disney thing I felt that people were just looking for things that could be "sexual", but who knows maybe the creators really are twisted people.

    ReplyDelete