Monday, October 18, 2010

Homecoming Tailgate and Game

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/JMU_Homecoming_Wraps_Up_105115169.html

 I found this article on the WHSV website for local Harrisonburg news. Basically the article is about increased security at JMU during tailgates and football games. However, as we all know they have really boosted policing in every aspect all thanks to the Spring Fest incident. In the article they have quotes from students talking about the beefed up policing and in result making for calmer crowds. I attended the game and I too could visually notice that there was more security located throughout the tailgates and stadium. Honestly, after last years events I can't say I blame the school for the increased security, but how long will it last? After all, this increased police staff at events is not free. These cops are not volunteering for these events. So what will grow in price for the community or students? Will tuition continue to go up or will taxes around the area? Either way someone will not be happy, but I do not see this increased staff lasting but for so long. Once they believe the point is made or the result that authorities and the university are looking for is reached I believe this extra help will back off. Right now law enforcement along with the university is just flexing their muscle showing they can control the situation. I believe it gets better every weekend and before long will be back to normal.

5 comments:

  1. I kinda feel like after the riots last spring they are coming down and complaining about everything we do now. Homecoming is tradition, the school should have planned better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The increased presence of police is helpful in my eyes but i agree that it will not last long. After a while people will figure out how to get around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have a huge issue with the increased police staff. Springfest was comprised of 8,000 students. There is no way in hell all of those students were from JMU. Now is it our fault we throw huge parties every year, maybe maybe not? Penalizing us for other kids actions seems a little bogus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The alumni section was apparently still pretty hopping according to some of my former students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just think it is unfair that the student tailgates are hit had by police but the high donating alumni tailgates are untouched and more rowdy than the student section. Double standard.

    ReplyDelete